Property owners have a legal obligation to ensure that their property is safe for guests and visitors. As a result, you may have a claim for compensation if you are injured on another person’s property. Unfortunately, successfully proving your claim involves more than the fact that you were injured. If you were injured on another person’s property, a Fort Walton personal injury lawyer can review your case and determine whether you have a claim.
More Than Just Slip and Fall Cases
Slip and fall cases are the most common type of premises liability cases, usually arising from negligent maintenance by the property owner. These cases often involve someone getting hurt when they strip, slip, or fall on wet floors, torn carpeting, or broken stairs. However, you may be entitled to compensation in the following situations:
- You were assaulted as a result of negligent security
- You were injured by falling merchandise
- Your child was injured on a trampoline or other play equipment
- You were attacked by a dog or other animal
- You were injured on a malfunctioning elevator or escalator
- You were electrocuted due to exposed wiring
- Your child drowned in a pool or other body of water
- You suffered a burn injury due to a fire
Whether it’s a slip and fall injury or an injury caused by someone else, a Fort Walton personal injury lawyer can evaluate your claim.
How a Fort Walton Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
In a premises liability claim, you must prove three things in order to receive compensation:
- The property owner owed you a duty of care;
- The property owner breached that duty; and
- You were injured as a result of the property owner’s breach and your injury was reasonably foreseeable.
Unless you were trespassing or otherwise did not have permission to be on the premises, establishing that the property owner owed you a duty of care usually isn’t difficult. The challenge in most claims is proving that the property owner was negligent in some way and that your injury was a foreseeable result of their negligence.
A Fort Walton personal injury can help in the following ways:
- By reviewing the evidence you have and collecting the evidence you need to prove your claim
- By handling all correspondence between you and the property owner and the property owner’s insurance carrier
- By helping you navigate the insurance claim process
- By negotiating a potential settlement claim
- If a settlement is not possible, filing a lawsuit on your behalf to ensure that you receive fair compensation
Pursuing a claim can be overwhelming if you have suffered a serious injury. A Fort Walton personal injury attorney can pursue your claim for compensation on your behalf, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Talk to a Fort Walton Personal Injury Lawyer at Powell Law Firm Today
If you have suffered a serious injury on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other losses. A Fort Walton personal injury lawyer from Powell Law Firm can help you hold them accountable so that you can get back on your feet. For a free consultation, contact us today at 850-682-2757 to discuss your case.